Jobs At Ohio State
Jobs At Ohio State
Basic Science Research at OSU Medical Center
The Ohio State University has rapidly grown into one of the largest research powerhouses in the nation. We have more health sciences colleges located in close proximity to one another than any other U.S. university, and our success in obtaining NIH and other grants has advanced the construction of extensive laboratory and clinical infrastructure.
The National Science Foundation ranks Ohio State 13th in total research expenditures (including the health sciences) among all universities, 9th among public universities and 2nd in industry-sponsored research.
The Ohio State University College of Medicine is looking for research assistants and associates in various departments. Job title, level, and salary will be determined based on qualifications (education and prior research experience).
You can search for available opportunities at http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/careers/.
- Assists with, or conducts, research experiments.
- Performs experimental tests and procedures.
- May assist in evaluating the validity of experimental test data obtained.
- Performs research techniques which vary by department.
- Records and consolidates research data.
- May summarize data and assist with the analysis and interpretation of research results.
- Prepares and may summarize data for reports and publications as well as inclusion in grant proposals and manuscripts.
- May assist with the preparation of manuscripts and articles for publication.
- Sets up and operates laboratory equipment.
- Orders / maintains research supplies including specimens and materials.
- Completes routine paperwork.
- Trains and/or supervises graduate and undergraduate students.
- Assists with protocol requirements, as well as local, state, and federal regulations.
Bachelor's degree in a biological/health science or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Experience in a biological/health sciences research capacity may be required depending on level.
- Actively participates in, or manages, the planning, design, and control of research projects.
- Participates in the development and implementation of new and/or revised research methodology and techniques.
- Designs and executes complex laboratory experiments.
- Performs advanced molecular and cellular techniques.
- Collects, analyzes, and interprets (or evaluates) research data.
- Collaborates with P.I., or takes the lead on writing manuscripts, articles, abstracts, and research reports for publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- Attends and presents at national and international scientific conferences, workshops, and seminars.
- Assists with the development and preparation of grant proposals to obtain outside funding in support of research.
- Conducts critical analysis of research literature related to research being investigated.
- Trains and/or supervises post doctoral researchers, graduate and undergraduate students, and other laboratory (or research) staff.
- Ensures compliance with protocol requirements, as well as local, state, and federal regulations.
- Monitors and enforces laboratory safety procedures to ensure compliance with OSHA regulations.
- May participate in developing and managing grant budgets and monitoring expenses.
- May serve as laboratory manager by overseeing and directing daily laboratory operations.
- May negotiate and oversee equipment service contracts and repairs.
Master's degree required. Considerable experience in a research capacity may be required depending on level. Ability to translate, adapt and apply practice knowledge in the conduct of biological/health sciences research required.